A Call to Action
The Chancellor’s Diversity Cabinet received its charge from then Chancellor Dr. Charles Bantz, December 4, 2003, to identify how we can double our achievements in diversity. Achievements in diversity have focused on the 13 diversity goals designed to achieve our Campus Vision For Diversity.
Since 2004 our focus toward doubling diversity has been to strengthen the campus wide commitment and leadership through the distribution of best practices via annual campus conferences on diversity and the establishment of a "Good Works" resource of all the good diversity work occurring at IUPUI.
Additionally we have continued to focus and improve our approach to assessment, planning and performance measurement which garnered a 2006 City of Indianapolis Mayors Award.
An Integrated Doubling Approach
In January 2004 a Doubling Diversity Committee of the Diversity Cabinet was formed which included members of the Diversity Cabinet and each of the chairs of the other three Doubling Taskforces. The Doubling Diversity Committee met through out Spring 2004 and engaged members of the other taskforces to ensure that as each taskforce responded to its charge they would advance the campus vision of diversity. As a result, each Doubling Taskforce (Teaching & Learning, Civic Engagement, Research) included objectives and strategies designed to advance the campus vision for diversity.
Since 1999, the following activities have occurred to advance university diversity goals:
- 1999: Campus Climate Study Conducted
- 2000: Established Chancellors Diversity Cabinet
- 2000: Began Annual Reporting of the State of Diversity at IUPUI
- 2002: Established Vision For Diversity
- 2003: Established Diversity Performance Indicators & Specific Action Items
- 2003: Established Taylor Awards
- 2003: Launched Diversity website
- 2005: Held First University Conference on Diversity
- 2005: Promoted Best Practices & Directory of Diversity Practitioners
- 2005: Held IUPUI Campus Conference on Diversity
- 2006: Held Campus Meeting To Discuss Development of A Campus Planning Framework for Diversity
- 2006: Completed "Achieving Diversity Report" (Institutional Snap Shot)
- 2007: IUPUI Black Student Union initiative
- 2008: The IUPUI Office of Diversity, Equity, & Diversity is established with a new Assistant Chancellor for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- 2009: Renovations started for new IUPUI Multicultural Center
- 2010: Multicultural Success Center grand opening in renovated Taylor Hall space"
- 2011: IUPUI inaugurates three diversity awards — two for faculty and 1 for staff
- 2013: New leadership with Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Progress towards the campus vision and goals for diversity is indicated in the annual "IUPUI Diversity Report".