With the support and approval from Department Chairman Dr. Mark W. Geraci, this new Academy was created to assemble a core nucleus of accomplished clinical teachers, medical education scholars, and experienced mentors in the Department to advance medical education.
As such, this Academy will have the following missions:
- Professional development of clinical faculty (including fellows and senior residents with plans for an academic career focused on medical education)
- Support and promote educational innovations and scholarship
- Facilitate collegial exchange and collaboration
- Provide career advice and mentoring
- Serve as a forum to formally recognize excellence in medical education
The formation of this Academy would not be possible without the generous philanthropic support from Richard N. Dexter, MD, professor emeritus of medicine in our Department and Division of Endocrinology. Thus, this Academy is named to honor Dr. Dexter and his steadfast support of the medical education mission.