The Black Faculty and Staff Council (BFSC) was established in 1978 with the following objectives:
- To facilitate interaction among Black faculty, staff, and students
- To address issues at the university that are of vital and mutual concern
- To promote the professional development of Black faculty and staff
- To motivate and encourage Black students to excel in their academic endeavors and to support them in their efforts to present a positive image on campus
- To plan and work toward the full growth and development of the larger community.
Membership is open to all faculty, administrators, fellows, and staff employed by Indiana Univeristy Purdue University Indianapolis, or its affiliates who support the mission of the Council.
Membership in the BFSC is open to all people employed by the university in faculty or staff positions who in good faith subscribe to and who will act to further the mission of the BFSC.
Dues paying members are eligible to participate in all meetings, programs, and elections sponsored by the BFSC. Dues are paid annually.
Members are strongly encouraged to become involved in one (or more) of the BFSC's standing committees:
- Activities Committee (Responsibilities include planning and coordinating social, cultural, and networking opportunities for the BFSC to participate in for African American faculty and staff).
- Constitution/Bylaws Committee (Responsibilities include reviewing, updatinSC regarding the current Constitution of the organization).
- Professional Development Committee (Responsibilities include recommending and implementing educational, professional, recruitment and retention activities for the Council to participate in or undertake for African American faculty and staff).
- Student Programming Committee (Responsibilities include planning and coordinating the cultural, social, and educational activities provided by the BFSC for African American students).
Those who wish to join may print, then complete the membership form and mail it to:Nicole OglesbyDirector, Campus Community ProgramsCampus Center, Suite 370420 University Blvd.Indianapolis, IN 46206