The IUPUI Multicultural Center seeks to support the entire student population promoting the value of diversity, broadening multicultural awareness and sensitivity, advancing cultural competence, and encouraging cross-cultural collaborative relationships through retention, engagement and education.
Mission & Vision
The Multicultural Center exists to provide a voice for equity by connecting students across identities through self-discovery and dialogue. Our vision is to transform IUPUI by empowering students to advance social change. The MC provides an array of programs and services to enhance the value of diversity at IUPUI and the surrounding community.
Born out of a call to action in 2006 by students, the Multicultural Center is dedicated to promoting student development and support through diversity education and multicultural awareness. Learn more
The MC posits that intentional efforts to increase retention is critical to the work that we do and therefore we offer a variety of student support initiatives to demonstrate our commitment to student success
The MC is committed to building a robust diversity and social justice engagement portfolio with a variety of reach strategies such as films, activities, workshops, performance and more.
The MC aims to provide relevant and current educational opportunities for the IUPUI community to explore social identity, culture, worldviews, social justice, bias, stereotypes, privilege and social change.
Key Programs & Services
The Multicultural Center provides an array of programs and services to enhance the value of diversity at IUPUI and the surrounding community.
- Cultural programs that are intersectional in their approach.
- Opportunities for faculty and staff to interact outside of the classroom/office.
- Facilitated dialogues about current events and issues.
- Norman Brown Diversity & Leadership Scholars Program.
newsletter featuring campus and community news and events. Weekly
- Examination of social justice issues through events such as Tunnel of Oppression, peer-led dialogues, and critical conversations.
- Facilitated dialogues about diversity, social justice, and current events.
- Peer developed and facilitated diversity-related workshops led by trained undergraduate students.
- Topics include: Engaging Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at IUPUI, Bias & Stereotypes, Power & Privilege, Interactive Communication, and Microaggressions. Schedule or plan to attend by visiting our website for more information.
- Multicultural Leadership Empowerment Program - a certificate program open to IUPUI community. Includes workshops, programming, and a multicultural leadership portfolio.
- Customized diversity and social justice modules/workshops for IUPUI faculty/staff and community organizations.
- Social Justice Symposium - conference to exchange knowledge about social justice issues through workshops, speakers, and dialogues.
- Indy Immersion - a fall break experience that highlights the invisible histories of marginalized communities at IUPUI and surrounding neighbors.
- Norman Brown Diversity & Leadership Scholars Program is designed to engage and retain high ability diverse students committed to social justice.
- Inclusive Excellence emergency fund provides limited assistance to undergraduate students.
- MC Textbook loan program allows eligible students to borrow textbooks required for the class.
- Charles E. Schell
interest freeloan provides assistance to students nearing graduation.
The IUPUI Multicultural Center features a cultural lounge, student organization suite, administrative suite, two conference rooms, nursing mother’s room, interfaith prayer room, meeting/ seminar/ classroom space, two all gender bathrooms and plenty of study space. The MC is a SAFE SPACE for all students, faculty, staff and the community and we invite you to stop in at any time.
Civic Responsibility, Empowerment